2-DAY WOMEN'S "smallmouth BASS 101" WORKSHOP
The 2-Day Women’s “Smallmouth Bass 101” Workshop is geared toward the advanced beginner to the intermediate angler. The workshop is focused mostly on fishing for smallmouth bass in rivers. The first day will be 8hrs of education, including classroom, hands-on knots, leader-building, and casting drills outside. Day #2, we move from the classroom to on the water instruction. We have hired four excellent guides from Fishing for All for an 8hr float down the Mississippi River.
The use of equipment, tackle, and lunch is included in the cost of this workshop. Register HERE.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
A Minnesota fishing license is required. Purchase a Minnesota fishing license HERE. A license is required for your fishing day on 8/4/23.
- Jenn Hsia
- Heather Hodson
2-Day workshop Schedule
8/3/23 – 9 am – 5 pm
8 am – 12 pm – Mix of Classroom, Hands-On and Outside Casting Drills
12 pm – 12:30 pm – Lunch
1 pm – 5 pm – Mix of Classroom and Outside Casting Drills
8/4/23 – 8hrs Guided Education on the Mississippi River
8hr Float on the Mississippi River with Fishing for All
Workshop Review After the Guided Fishing Day
$995.00 Per Person. 8 Students Max. Register HERE.
The Final Payment of $500.00 is Due on June 19th, 2023.
Payments and Refunds
A deposit of 50% ($495.00) is required to hold your spot. Final payment is due 45 days before the start of the workshop. All payments have a seven-day cancellation policy, from the date of registration, for a full refund. After seven days, all payments are forfeited unless a replacement participant is found.
This scholarship opportunity provides diverse women with education, financial assistance, and a welcoming environment to explore their interest in fly fishing. Candidates chosen for this scholarship will learn to fly fish on public water outside of Minneapolis, Minnesota. This scholarship is not based on socioeconomic status; all who are eligible should apply.
This scholarship is created for women, 18 years or older, who identify as one of the following:
- – OR – Someone that demonstrates a long-standing commitment to making the outdoors more inclusive.
In partnership with TroutRoutes, providing 100% funding for the Minnesota 2-Day Women’s “Smallmouth Bass 101” Workshop and Fly Fish Instruct is donating the workshop curriculum, Smallmouth Bass 101 manual, and an optional travel stipend.
We believe that everyone should have access to fly-fishing education and are living out this mission through our scholarship program. In 2022, Fly Fish Instruct provided more than 150 individuals free access to the “Intro to Fly Fishing” online course and over 50 scholarships and donated courses. Learn more about the scholarship HERE.
- Rods, Reels and Fly Lines
- Leader/Tippet Review
- Monofilament and Fluorocarbon Breakdown
- Match the Hatch
- Understanding the Food Sources
- Choosing the Right Fly
- Beyond the Basics Knots Overview
- Non-Slip Loop, Blood Knot and Perfection Loop
- Hands-On Leader Setups and Rationale
- Smallmouth Bass Behavior
- Reading Water and Where to Fish Smallmouth Bass in a River
- Seasonsal Behavior
- Fishing Technique Overview
- Surface Feeding
- Mid-Column Feeding
- Bottom-Column Feeding
- Fly Casting
- Fly Casting Principles and Fundamentals
- Pick-Up Lay Down
- Off-Shoulder casting
- Belgium or Constant Tension Casts
- Double Haul
- Casting Further
- Casts Specific to Fishing Techniques, Leaders, and Weight of Flies
- 8hrs Classroom Education Taught By Highly Skilled Women Anglers
- 8hrs Guided Education, Floating the Mississippi River with Guides Fishing for All
- We have made a Conscious Effort to Hire Diverse Fly-Fishing Guides.
- Online Access to “Fly Fishing 101”, “Reading Trout Water” and “Intro to Bass” Online Courses
- “Smallmouth Bass 101” Manual Written By Heather Hodson and Jenn Hsia
- UWOTF Hat
- iFishiBelong Tee-Shirt
- Lunch on Thursday and Friday
- Use of All Fishing Equipment Needed
What's not included?
- Minnesota Fishing License
- Travel to and from Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Minneapolis Lodging
- 20% Guide Gratuity
The city is located in central east of Minnesota on both banks of the Mississippi River, north of the site where the Minnesota River joins the Mississippi. The nearest airport, MSP, is 12 miles away from downtown Minneapolis.
Safety is our biggest concern. We will follow the CDC and State of Minnesota recommendations.